A dental implant is a more permanent dental restoration solution. It is useful for people who have lost a tooth or more, and those using dentures. Implants build one’s confidence, esteem level, speech functions, and chewing ability. It is often a bad experience when there is a loss of permanent teeth due to old age, oral diseases, or accidents, but with dental implants, this bad experience no longer lasts long.
Benefits of Dental Implant Restorations
Listed below are some of the benefits of using dental implants.
- Aesthetics – Implants improve physical appearance and boosts confidence.
- Durability – Implants merge with the bone, forming a unified durable structure.
- Stability – Implants remain same over a lifetime if maintained very well.
- Healthy Option – With dental implants, there is no filing of neighboring teeth.
- Natural – Implants have the same look, shape and feel of natural teeth.
Processes in Dental Implant Restoration
Find below, the processes undertaken in dental implant restoration.
- The first process is to insert the implant where the former root of the jawbone used to be.
- The implant takes about 2 – 6 months to merge well with the jawbone, forming a base for an artificial tooth.
- A new replacement tooth is then designed, produced, and fixed to the implant, restoring the natural speech and chew functions of the patient.
- In case of the loss of many teeth, an implant-anchored bridge will be used as replacement for the missing teeth.